Wednesday, December 1, 2021

"Coupe Cloue live in Paris" Kompa Mamba

















 



Album:  Coupe Cloue Live in Paris
Artist: Coupe Cloue
year: Unknown




I moved to Miami in 2004 for work.  Miami is a great city but folks, have you ever seen Haitian women?  Maybe it has something to do with lovely African women speaking French.  I don't know.

Come to Miami.

I was driving down the street in South Bay one day when I heard some wonderful music. It was coming from the car driving next to me.  When we reached a stop light I looked over and saw that the car was being driven by a beautiful Haitian woman.  

I figured out she was Haitian after I spoke to her and heard her accent.  

I figured out she was beautiful because I can see.

I'm the shy type so I called over to her, "Hey, what kind of music is that?"

She smiled and yelled back, "It's Kompa!"

I had been living in Miami for a few years and I had been listening to a lot of Kompa on the radio but this didn't sound like the Kompa I knew.  But in as much as I was in love I yelled back, "It's nice!"

"Do you want the CD?" she asked me.  I swear.  

That took me back a moment and I said something like, "Really?"

"Yah," she yelled laughing.  "It's a copy."  And to my amazement I saw her reach over to eject the CD.

Events unfolded rapidly.  We were sitting in our cars at a stop light in the middle of Miami traffic.  Suddenly I saw her reaching over the passenger seat and holding the CD out the window.  I reached back over but I couldn't quite get my hand far enough to grab the CD so I got out of the car.  About then the light turned green and horns started to honk.  She was cracking up as I grabbed the CD.  And then she threw her car into gear, and she was off.  I ran back to my car amid angry yells and got into my seat but she was gone.  Gone forever.

But that's how I got this CD.





















It's clearly a home made CD with "Coupe Cloue Live in Paris" and "L-P-S-G-M-G" written on it by hand.

Does anyone out there know what "L-P-S-G-M-G" stands for?  I haven't a clue. 

I threw the CD into my CD player and drove home playing this strange new Kompa through the streets of beautiful Miami.  What a life.

Back in my apartment I looked up Coupe Cloue. 

Coupe Cloue was a Haitian musician.  His band "L'ensemble Select" is well known in Haiti and in other parts of the world especially in Africa. Coupe Cloue's Kompa is different and unique. They call it "Kompa Mamba."  I guess that explains why I didn't recognize it as Kompa. 

Here is what the Wikipedia says about Coupe Cloue:

Jean Gesner Henry (May 10, 1925 - January 29, 1998), popularly known as Coupé Cloué, was a Haïtian singer, guitarist, and bandleader. He was known for defining a style of Haïtian kompas music he called Kompa Mamba, and for the sometimes bawdy innuendo used in his songs. During his career, he was one of Haïti's most prominent musicians, and found much success in West Africa as well.

Uh Oh. I tried to compress the CD into an .rar file but the software won't recognize it. I think that Haitian woman used some strange format to burn her CD. Hmmmmm... Let me work on that. "MUSIC FILE SOON COME"

 In the mean time here is another track..

"Coupe Cloue Live in Paris (L-P-S-G-M-G)"




















.



No comments: