Sunday, December 3, 2023

Black Slate feat. Ras Elroy


artist: Black Slate feat. Ras Elroy
song: Seven Hundred Pound Weight b/w Justice and Honour
label: Integrity 12 inch single


This, I want to tell you, is a piece of vinyl that I loved.

Deep affection.

It has everything that I love..  Heavy solid music.  Lyrics that talk to me.  Limited pressing.  Obscure label.  12 inch extended play.  Wicked dub.  Good lord what more do you want?

I picked it up one night in the used reggae bin at Rhino Records in Westwood sometime in the mid 80's.  At the time I had no idea who Ras Elroy or Black Slate were but Rhino had a listening booth and I listented to it and grabbed it.  Aka, I lucked out. 

Folks, will we ever find used records like this again?  Sigh.

Black Slate was (is) a British reggae band.  They never made it as big as say Aswad or Steel Pulse but they did put out some heavy duty reggae.  Seven Hundred Pound Weight heavy.

When I came to the Philippines I gave this record to a friend.  I couldn't sell it.




Seven Hundred Pound

My woman loves it and she smokes it
my woman loves it and she needs it
my woman smokes it cuz it takes her higher
but we just can afford it.

Mister Government, Mister Government
you've taken away from the poor man
who smoke this herb for meditation
to reach to the higher one.

So seven hundred pound
a weight a murder
seven hundred pounds
a weight of sensimilla
seven hundred pounds
a weight of sensimilla.




While we're on the subject.. Marijuana.

As I have said before I am now living in the Philippines.  The other night I was at a Filipino party.  Filipinos love to party.  They get together in the villages and sing Karaoke and pass around shots of whiskey and party until the wee hours.  It's beautiful.  And as I was saying the other night I was at such a party when low and behold a joint got fired up.  Ganja.  Reefer.  Sweet Sensimilla.... 

It came passing by and DAMN IT I had to say no. 

It killed me.

Do you know what they do to foreigners who get caught with narcotics in Asia.  Don't ask.

My friends all said "Ah come on.."  but folks, in the Philippines they list Marijuana, the lambs bread, Jah's gift to the world, right along side heroin and cocaine and if I got caught with any drugs.. as a foreigner.. well forget it.  No more grooVemonzter that's for sure.

So I said no.... and the joint passed on.  Sigh.






For the time being this wonderful music can be found here: Sensimilla





Black Slate









.


1 comment:

Unknown said...

PLEASE REPLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!