Tuesday, December 15, 2015

City Boys Band - Ankwanobi


 
City Boys International Band of Ghana
led by Obuoba J.A. Adofo
 
"ANKWANOBI"
 BJI Records 1982
 
 
side one
Ankwanobi
Monsu Mame
 

 
Obuoba J.A. Adofo
"The Black Chinese"
 
Obuoba J.A. Kwabena Adofo has 115 albums to his credit.  Not too shabby.

"I was nearly killed!"

Speaking with NEWS-ONE, Adofo remembered a plot on his life masterminded by his late promoter named Ango:

'We had an agreement that if I record for him, he will buy me a car. So after we finished the job, he took me to Nigeria to buy the car for me.

We got to Nigeria at about 11:00am but he didn't proceed to the bank to withdraw money for the car. He waited till 4:30pm before we went to the bank.

It was too late so we couldn't buy the car after withdrawing the money. So he said I should rather sleep so that the next day we buy the car.'

He said the promoter gave him the money to keep after putting him in a hotel.

'The money was 10,000 naira but he took 2000 naira. He then hired a hotel called Kwadan for me at Agege, a suburb of Lagos.

In the evening, when I was going to sleep, something told me to go out and look for some tea to take. In the course of taking the tea, I overhead some two Ghanaians chatting in my language.

I greeted them and introduced myself to them. I also told them that a producer brought me to Nigeria to buy a car for me and he came to hire that hotel for me to sleep so that the next day we buy the car.'

According to him, the two guys told him they would not allow him to sleep in that hotel because 'everyday blessed day, the hotel is robbed.

They said if I sleep, there they would rob and kill me. Also, the guys couldn't take me to Apapa where they lived because it was far from where we were.

But they advised me not sleep in the hotel, whatever the case may be. There was this refuse dump behind the hotel, so I went for bedspread and blanket in the hotel room and found matches and set fire on the refuse.

I hid the money in my pants and covered myself with blanket. People who passed thought I was probably a mad person who had come to the area.'

He said, 'The next morning, armed robbers raided the hotel and killed people.  When the producer came to see me in the morning, he looked surprised.

He deliberately put me in that hotel so that they would come and rob the money from me and take it back. They were surprised to see me alive.'

The veteran musician is making the revelation 24 years after the incident occurred. He said he believed he survived because God loved him.

The experience, he noted, opened his eyes to how to deal with people in the music industry.

bloggers note - sounds like my boss..

read more here: http://www.modernghana.com/music/14632/3/i-was-nearly-killed-j-a-adofo.html
 
 
side two:
I have no father
Dabia Menko Mewuo
 

 
 
Special thanks to Moos at Global Groove Independent for posting this great album: http://www.globalgroovers.com/2015/11/city-boys-international-band-of-ghana-ankwanobi-bji-records-1982.html
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments: